Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Birthday musings

Birthday's are interesting...as a kid they are the most exciting special day of the year. My kids start anticipating and getting excited about their next birthday almost a year in advance. Then as you age and get a bit older, birthdays become just another day. Today as I woke up (nursing my pinched nerve in my back) I realized I'm now at the point where birthdays are even a little bit depressing.

Ten years ago I remember turning age 25 and being depressed because I was just half a decade away to 30. Well, here I sit today at age 35. 40 is just an arms length reach away. How can that be? How did I get that old?

So much has happend in those 10 years. 10 years ago today I didn't have any children, lived in a small apartment and was working full time.

Just one year ago Bart threw me my first surprize party. It was at Bucca's with many of my great friends. Today I celebrated by getting Bucca's take-out and eating with my family. Any day is a good day when you get to eat Bucca's chicken saltimbocca. Mmmmmmm.

I have had some other very memorable birthdays. Like this one...


This was May 20, 1995. I turned 21 in the Namibian bush. That is a loaf of bread my BYU professor is handing to me with candles stuck in it. The constant wind out there blew out my candles before I could. In the box was some assorted candies and cookies that were very delicious.


I also remember turning 10 (I think) and we had a school field-trip/picnic to Como Park on my birthday. It was a really hot sunny day and I got a really bad sun burn. My dad has a picture of me from that day in his slide collection-so I can't scan it in, but I was sitting on our couch with my great-aunt and uncle, Pauline and Charles Harrington, and my face was bright, bright red. I remember that birthday very clearly. It was a fun birthday aside from the burn.

I could think of more but I'm sure my musings are not that interesting to that many people. They were just a few of my random thoughts I had throughout this day.

And THANKS to everyone at the park today for the song, and the cupcakes and THANKS to all that called or facebooked me birthday wishes today!

1 comment:

Megan Gunyan said...

You're welcome! If it's any consolation, you don't look a day over 19! :)-